Know your environment before you act
In the social media space, I came across several posts about the young lady who referred to the GMD of United Bank for Africa (UBA), Tony Elumelu, simply as “Tony.” It sparked a lot of conversations, and it got me thinking about something I have learnt from working in the corporate world both in Africa and here in the UK.
As a professional, it is important to understand the environment you find yourself in.
When I worked in the financial sector in Nigeria, I would never call my boss by their first name. Not necessarily because calling someone by their first name is universally unprofessional, but because I understood the culture of the environment I was working in.
Yes, you may be taught during professional training that addressing colleagues and senior executives by their first names is perfectly acceptable. But professionalism is not only about knowing what you were taught. It is also about understanding the culture of the environment you are currently in, observing what is acceptable and knowing how to conduct yourself appropriately.
When I moved to the UK and entered a more corporate environment, I noticed that almost everyone addressed one another by their first names, including managers and senior colleagues.
So, I adapted.
Today, I call my boss by her first name because that is what is normal in the environment I currently work in. During meetings, everyone addresses one another by their names, and nobody sees it as disrespectful.
In fact, in that environment, addressing someone as “Sir” or “Ma'am” can sometimes feel overly formal because that is simply not the norm.
But that doesn’t mean I would automatically carry the same approach into every environment.
If I were to move back to Nigeria tomorrow and take up a corporate role, I would understand that I am now operating within a different cultural environment. I would observe, learn, and adjust accordingly. I may go back to using “Mr,” “Mrs,” “Sir,” “Ma,” “Director,” or whatever form of address is appropriate within that environment.
That, to me, is professionalism.
You don’t have to lose yourself or compromise your values. But you should be able to read the room, understand your environment, and adapt appropriately.
What is perfectly normal in one environment can be perceived as disrespectful or inappropriate in another.
So before you do something simply because you believe it is “professional,” ask yourself:
What is obtainable here?
What is the culture of the environment I am in?
How do people communicate with one another?
What is considered respectful here?
Because being professional isn’t just about knowing the rules.
It is knowing when, where, and how to apply them.
Learn the culture.
Study your environment.
Adapt when necessary.
You are not being fake. You are demonstrating cultural intelligence.
And sometimes, that is just as important as the professional qualifications you have.
#Glory Orokpo
